Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Wizard Of Oz

Last night I switched on my drug - Foxtel - and sat back to enjoy the Saturday night "Golden Years of Hollywood" presentation from Bill Collins. Firstly let me say I just love the old Bill, and golly gosh how on earth does he keep his hair that brilliant chestnut colour. I guess he gets hair help from the "stars" ie, Bert Newton. In any case last nights visual feast was the truly great MGM classic "The Wizard Of Oz". I always enjoy hearing what old Bill has to say on the topic of films and he never ceases to amaze with his vast amount of knowledge, even on movies which he has presented about a zillion times over.
So last night even he was first to admit that he would find it hard to give any information about the film not already done so before. Though as usual he managed to find some zingers. The first being a book which was released all about the film and of which was actually written by the most unlikely of author, Salman Rushdie. Also he mentioned the change in directors as the film was being shot as the first director wanted to axe not only Judy Garland but mainly the song "Over The Rainbow" as he thought it was too slow. Bill then also pointed out the year in which the film was made - 1939. I sat back and thought, far out brussell sprout that is 70 years ago yes that's right 70 years ago.
I guess I had not thought the film was that old, 50 years maybe but 70 - wow!. It just goes to show the endurance of such a wonderful film and the fact that after all this time it still manages to enthrall and in my case scare the shit out of millions of little children the world over. Oh and yes I did check the back and front door on numerous occasions last night - just in case the wicked witch of the west tried to take my cat. Oh and of course being a ranga all I ever dreamed of was one day becoming the good witch of the North - Glinda - sadly I am still waiting.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yep got to love the OZ, god knows my kids do. Mind you it doesn't scare this desensitised generation.
Thankfully they havnt tried to remake the movie like they have so many other classics "Willie Wonka- 1972", Psycho-1960...
My kids love "Willie Wonka" or as they call it Umpa!. I watched the newer (Jonny Dep) version with them and we didn't like it. In fact Terri showed the old Willie Wonka movie to one of her classes and they all said the old version was much better.

I do miss the old Bill introducing all the movies on CH-10 moons ago now its just hourly sponsors that appear before after and during the movies some time twice in one add break.

Anonymous said...

Actually on the subject of payTV.
What the hell is with the adds now.
I could understand showing upcoming programs and maybe other PTV packages.
BUT now we have to put up with exactly the same adds that we get on free to air. The lack of adds was always the draw card of PTV.
Personally I think PTV has gone to shit. PTV shows programs months sometimes years after free to air had already aired them and when it comes to TV series you seem to only get the first 3 seasons (of 11) then they start them all over again. Sorry Foxtel but the variety has gone commercial television is competing way to well. So give it the flick and spend your $60+ on something better a month unless you are a westie and you life revolves around WWE wrestling then you have no other choice.

jodiecoyote said...

Dear God Wayne you seriously have been getting way too much fresh air. Not have foxtel? - are you out of your mind. Frankly you and Chris should get together for a bitch session about the ads, frankly they don't bother me because I need regular breaks inbetween watching such heavy going shows like American Antiques Roadshow, my brain can't always cope and needs a rest inbetween. As for the drawcards of pay TV well I only have one - "Eastenders" and without Fox I have to rely on You Tube, which is isn't that great. Also we get to watch the Moto GP - hot boys in leather on bikes - and not have to put up with terrible hosts screaming the relevant names of riders and their attributes. Frankly you only have to look at Channel 9 to see where life is headed for free to air tv - Hey Hey It's Saturday on a Wednesday night??? Hello - and if that is not bad enough what were they thinking getting rid of Hendo from the news, retirement or not he was the bloody news. Frankly they should have computerised him and then everyone would not have turned to Channel 7 - old Frank and Kerry would be turning in their graves. Still at least old moon face has a still got a job - and there rests my point.