Thursday, September 17, 2009

RIP Mike Leyland

I loved the Leyland Brothers. Frankly Saturday early evening's before bath time were not complete unless you watched "Ask The Leyland Brothers" and "The World Around Us" then topped it all off by scaring the shit out of yourself with "Great Mysteries Of The World". So it was sad to hear that the pioneer of travel documentary style television had gone to God. I hope he is a having a wonderful time though I have no doubt he is exploring the furtherest reaches of heaven and finding it just as fascinating as he did here. Only the Leyland Brothers could show you a rock and convince you through their enthusiasm that it was a diamond. So below is an early episode of the once great show just in case you were not fortunate enough to see it as a kid. Strangely I never noticed the wet tee shirt competition which seems to permeate through the opening credits. It's funny the things you don't see as a child and honking huge nipples were obviously not on my agenda, though I guess I wasn't a boy which probably goes a long way in explaining why I missed it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nooooooooooooooooooooo I cant believe it.
This would have to be a sad day for Australia. One the greatest Australia icons has gone dare I say greater then the big bopper, maybe I shouldn't. But certainly for my time they were a major part of my childhood culture. I always wanted to be a Leyland that and one from "The land of the giants". Now I really feel bad for not going to the Leyland Brothers World up near Tea Gardens before they went bust. I have Driven past it many times and now it is a crappy highway dinner. Only the Leylands would place a miniature Ayes Rock on the highway to QLD.
This should be a National day of mourning.
And yes as a male I did notice the T-shirts.
I think someone should remake the shirts after all they are just as iconic to the time as Atari.

jodiecoyote said...

Typical that you and other boys would notice the nipples - dirty bastards - and my only concern was they looked like they needed a good feed because they were so skinny - poor starved Leylands. Oh and I am going to knock up some Leyland tee shirts on my computer and do the old iron on teeshirt - suffice to say I wont be wearing it in the water without a bra.