Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Depeche Mode Concert Review - August 16th 2009 - Hollywood Bowl

Above: L to R: Brian - Peter - Tamara - Jodie - Mark - Andy - yes they are Scottish - yes they are nude under the kilt.
Above: Yep that's what we saw - a lot of light from a galaxy far far away
Below: Tamara making the best of a bad situation and tilting her head to show the guy who spoke out of the side of his mouth she also had a nervous tick. (Sorry in joke)

Below: Marky and Jodie being silly with the stage a distant orange blip behind us.
Below: The stage - on zoom.

Above: Yes that is them on stage - hoorah!
Below: Marky and Tamara being silly before the show

Set List 12
Hollywood Bowl (August 16th, 2009)

In Chains
Wrong
Hole To Feed
Walking In My Shoes
It's No Good
A Question Of Time
Precious
Fly On The Windscreen
Jezebel
Home
Come Back
Policy Of Truth
In Your Room
I Feel You
Enjoy The Silence
NeverLet Me Down Again
Encore #1
Somebody
Stripped
Strangelove
Encore #2
Personal Jesus
Waiting For The Night (Bare Version)

For some reason, and I have no explanation, I have not been as impressed by the latest album of my beloved DM. “Sounds of the Universe”. It is a good album but it didn’t seem to have the same baptism of fire for me like previous albums. There are a number of very good tracks, and the video for “Wrong” is the best video since “Precious”. Of course my dislike of most things Anton Corbin who creates the video’s and art work for DM usually has a lot to do with why I like any video he doesn’t do, hence why I loved “Wrong” and “Precious”.


So I went to the first show with trepidation. Would I love the new tracks live? Or would they leave me feeling a little lost? Thankfully upon meeting my DM husband, Andy in the hotel bar along with my DM brother in law, Brian I was assured by them both that the new album was not sitting well with even the biggest of fans, i.e., them. They were also concerned that our feeling of the album just not sitting right was being reflected in this tour and that without doubt the album wasn’t doing so well sales wise. It was nice to hear fans whose opinion I trust feel the same way I did and be prepared to say it aloud. The fact is between them they have pretty much been to every show DM has ever done, this tour and past, and so if anyone knows what the crowd is reacting to it is them.


So, Peter, Marky, Tamara and I along with Andy and a very very very hung over Brian all bundled ourselves into a rather large taxi and headed to the famed Hollywood Bowl – a purpose built outdoor amphitheatre . On the trip to the bowl I commented that myself, Mark, Peter and Tamara would all be sporting blue hands, and be blue from the waist down before the night ended as we had all been on a jeans shopping spree earlier in the day and had decided to wear our new purchases for the first big show so we would be all spruced up. Of course it was then that a laughing fit ensued between us all and didn’t stop in the cab for pretty much the entire trip, which saw Brian become considerably greener and obviously wishing he were somewhere else in stead of being with those from the Colonies.


So of course upon arrival at the Bowl we milled around and tried to look cool in our new duds. It wasn’t long before we realised that the band had come on stage and we needed to get to our seats quick smart. Of course you can’t be running to your seat when it is located in row xxx up the back of a bowl where you need to get about four sets of escalators to reach into the stratosphere so much so that you may in fact become weightless. I think as it turned out we were about four or so rows from the back row, or thereabouts.


I am lucky because I have experience with American audiences, both at the Bowl and elsewhere having seen plenty of shows in the US. Though if you haven’t then to the average considerate Australian you may need to have a Bex and a lie down before doing battle at a US concert. The fact is American audience goers live up to the quintessential antithesis of what we all loath about American’s. They are loud, annoying, disrespectful and eat big serves of greasy food with huge chug a lug’s of beer to wash it all down with, all whilst watching a show. So you take your seat, the show has started and the fuckers all around you are talking, eating, walking around, standing in front of you, and being complete pains in the arse, and that is when they are being respectful. The most loathsome aspect of going to a concert in the US, and I have found it is from one coast to another is the bizarre ritual of smoking copious amounts of dope during the entire show. Fuck me if it ain't 2009 and Woodstock was 40 years ago mate but WTF.


Yes that’s right, it wasn’t Cyprus Hill we were seeing it was Depeche Mode and you would have thought it was 1969. I thought this culture was confined to “rock n roll” type bands but when I saw Tony Bennett at the Hollywood Bowl and could smell dope like I was walking the promenade in Griffith NSW circa 1972 I was flabbergasted.


So yes I always seem to forget about this minor detail when I go to see DM in the US, until I get there and then I am rudely reminded. Oh and don’t bother trying to ask them to shut up or sit down or stop making your head spin because they are ALL doing it. I have to have a laugh because if you so much as even breathe at certain concerts in Australia you would get lynched let alone have the audacity to smoke a giant spliff at a Kylie concert. Can you imagine? Actually Kylie has recently played the Bowl I wonder how high she got. No doubt she was certainly “Spinning Around” So for my Australian companions it did take a little getting used to; you know not wanting to commit homicide and all.


Now onto the main event, the show itself. By the time we got to our seats the band was well into “Walking in my shoes” and frankly as usual Dave was giving it everything he has got. Upon reflection we looked at the time and the concert had started quite early but given the fact that the previous show had been cancelled in San Diego due to Dave’s voice playing up I figured he wanted to get the show over and done with. Poor pet. Thankfully his voice was fine and even though the sound was rather crap due in most part to poor mixing the show went well. I think for me the highlight was definitely “Fly on the windscreen”. I love when they throw something really old and out of know where into a set, it shakes it up, which is something they don’t do all the time – Dave being a boring old Taurus and never wanting to change may have something to do with it. I understand Dave I am a Taurus too. Heaven knows Dave does love his black pants, black vest and black shoes so it is always left up to Martin to compensate with a fashion faux par like eyeliner or purple nails.


Don’t get me wrong I love his outfits and this tour’s tip to toe glitter ensemble was fantastic, at least we could see him – hint hint Bono. Of course they played all the standards which the US crowd always respond well too including Dave’s aerobic class to “Never let me down” which believe me starts to make your arms well and truly ache. Of course I love when they also decided to throw in some songs from the album “Songs of faith and devotion” mainly because the US audience show that they really couldn’t make up their mind with the album and are still tense about heavy guitar sounds and Dave’s drug taking days. Frankly I loved the album and seem to be the only one going mad at US concerts – you know the odd Australian out.


So now on to the subject of Dave’s drug taking days – since I’m on it already. Frankly I think something is going on with Dave, he only brings out the black scarf around the neck when he has previously been on “the ox” (drugs) and for some reason its back this tour. Not every show but for many. Now this isn’t the only observation and I know he has allegedly been ill but frankly he did seem to be lacking something, perhaps album sales maybe, but all in all he wasn’t looking as chipper as the last tour and I hope he doesn’t go back down that road. Okay I have left out Fletch pretty much in the whole post – yes he was there – yes he jumped up and down at inappropriate moments – yes he doesn’t play much at all – yes I think he is playing an x-box whilst on stage instead of actually doing anything – yes it is a big waste of time him having a stylist as recorded in the tour booklet, how hard is it to get black pants, black tee shirt and black sun glasses together for an old ranga? Yes I love Fletch but even he admits to doing nothing.

So the show ended with the controversial choice of “Waiting for the night” which of course is a
slow song. They chose to end the shows on the last tour with “Goodnight Lovers” and of course the fans went ape shit because they wanted to hear something more up beat before they went home. Frankly I loved the slower song to end the night; it just proves they are not like every other band. Oh as for the stage sets I did like them, the big revolving centre piece ball and graphics were good. For some strange reason I have always liked what Anton Corbin does with the set designs but I think that is where he should be left – on tour.

So it does sound like I had a bit of crap first show and I guess in a way I may have but it was still very good and I enjoyed it, especially the part when it was over and we were walking back to get a cab and of course got invited in to the after show party with the band. Yes that’s right we stood at the after show party and watched Fletch and Martin lap up the ladles whilst we drank their booze and ate their food. I have been up close to both Martin and Fletch before and no I didn’t approach them, I have no need say anything to them. I once stood next to Martin at a Dave solo show in LA and told him that I loved him and thanked him. He was gracious and attentive and at least acknowledged my good intention. So it was nice to feel after our long trip that DM appreciated us and were able to spare a few free drinks and aperitifs put on in our honour was much appreciated. Oh and no Dave never ever is seen at after show parties or any party for that matter, fair enough, he needs to leave the chicks for Fletch.


Being old and frankly feeling it we dropped off my DM husband and Brian who had curbed his hangover with more booze by this point at a local haunt in Hollywood. We then proceeded to go back to the hotel and go to bed but not before our cab driver thought it would be a good idea to get up close and personal with some mean looking gangsters driving in the car next to us. Tamara noticed some bullet holes in the body of their vehicle and I believe if the cabbie had of pissed them off much more by darting in front of them then we might have been sporting some bullet holes of our own. Rock N Roll baby! Stay tuned for the review of night 2.


P.S. – Note to Martin – please never sing Jezebel again ever – k. Though we still love you even if you do, but umm don’t.

No comments: