Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Under The Blue Moon Festival

The festival for Under The Blue Moon was on Saturday. You missed it. I was sceptical that this year would be low on numbers due to the long weekend, sporting adventures and Sleaze Ball all being on the same weekend but there was still a decent roll up of Goth kids. I was tempted to go and buy a tee-shirt I recently saw with the words "Cheer up Emo Kid" on the front but I thought they may not understand my humour. Instead I got Peter to squeeze me into my corset and fabbie outfit that I paid a fortune for a few years ago and off I went to give my lecture. Peter accompanied me and we must have looked good because we had quite a few strangers come up and take photos of us. Though I was not in the mood to even have a photo taken but I obliged, and due to my old age crankiness on the day I didn't bother to take a photo of what we looked like. Don't know why, I just didn't feel like it. Frankly I felt like a thick pork sausage tied up in the middle. One pierce and I would have oozed fat all over the joint. I love being corsetted but for the first half of the afternoon I was just miffed for no known reason at all, and don't even get me started on the whole adventure of not being able to breath. We ventured down to see the fantastic orator Professor Wansborough speak about Life and Death and as usual he was profound. Unfortunately for him he was located in a new venue, set aside just for his lecture and I don't think it brought the crowds in. My usual venue for the past three years was Simplicity Funerals and when I arrived after listening to the Professor it was packed for the speaker before me who was talking about death rituals. The kids then stayed on for my drivel and appeared to be interested, god love them. I have to say I really enjoyed it and I think they really enjoyed the subject matter as much as I do. I love talking about the Razor Gangs of Sydney in the 1920's and 1930's I know it blows the kids away because they think we have no interesting history but the fact is we do. It's such a shame they can't teach interesting stuff to kids at school, if they did then I have no doubt people would walk away with an education. In any case it was a great afternoon and it was topped off by walking home my beautiful daughter the length of Enmore Road dressed in her hot pink tu tu and matching jacket. She was adored by many and I beamed with pride.

No comments: