Saturday, September 11, 2010

Regret's I've Had A Few But Then Again Just One To Mention

I was living in London back in 1993, it was a wonderful time for me I was footloose and fancy free. I was also very young and when I look back extremely lucky with the good choices I made. I lived in a great place, had loads of great friends and partied like it was 1999 each and every night of the week. I travelled every other weekend to great places like Paris and Spain and I lapped up the admiration of many many young single gents. So it was one sunny afternoon that I was strolling around London when I happened upon a sale of second hand stuff. Namely the second hand stuff was a giant pile of rubble in a shop that was actually the remains of the Berlin Wall which not long before had fallen to democracy. So I stood in amongst the rubble and contemplated buying a piece of graffiti stained rock. I held it in my hands and asked the price, I think it was about 20 quid or so and I certainly had the money but I put it down and walked out. My reason was I figured who would care about this crappy piece of rubble anyway and it would be too heavy to try and eventually haul back to Australia, if and when I ever returned. Tea chest or not I had a gazillion shoes and they were of a top priority to me back then. So it is something I regret, I should have damn well bought that piece of the Berlin Wall but I didn't, if only I wasn't so young and stupid I would now have a brilliant door stop with a fantastic conversation piece too boot and who knows how much I would get if I were to take it to the Antiques Roadshow, perish the thought.

No comments: