Sunday, September 5, 2010

Carry On - My Love Affair With Barbara Windsor

Everyone has a dirty little secret and mine is a love affair with Eastenders. I have had it all my life ever since the ABC used to play really old back dated episodes of Eastenders teasing Australians that we were any where near up to date with the show. Of course that was probably when I was around my late teens and I signed up to Foxtel as soon as it was available many many moons ago because of the promise of Eastenders. So every night at 7pm I can be found indulging in my dirty little secret. I know all the In's and outs of the show and have done for as long as I care to remember. Sadly my favorite character the ye olde Barbara "Peggy Mitchell" Windsor is due to leave the series in the next few weeks and I am sad to see her go. So tonight I am indulging in a little bit of Barbara madness by watching her at her best in the early 70's with Sid James in some of the Carry On films. Now I know they are trashy but I always get a laugh out of them if not for the fact that Sid James was the epitome of dirty old man but what is most astonishing is there are 31 of these films in total. Everything from Carry on Matron to my favorite Carry On Camping. If ever there was a 1st place getter for the saying "they made a little go a very very long way" then the "Carry On" movies certainly win. So here is to you Babs you are a legend.

No comments: