Sunday, May 16, 2010

Maturity

Rarely do I meet anyone under the age of 40 who I think has any degree of maturity and then even most of them are retards in this area in one way or another. In fact it is a word that doesn't exactly conjure up images of Gen Y at all, in fact Gen X ain't far beyond them either, and don't get me started on the Baby Boomers. When I was growing up people older than me were most often than not my friends and they were forever telling me how mature I was for my age. Of course when you are going to hit 38 nobody says you are mature for your age anymore unless they are referring to the way you look in which case you would probably dislike them very much. So I am glad that I am finally getting older in my calender age in order to reflect how I have often felt in terms of my maturity and that is somewhere around 50. It isn't that I don't feel young, I do, but I've always had a level head and made sound decisions even if some of them were not exactly wise they were never particularly stupid and immature and certainly none of them made me hope that one day I would be mature.
Which brings me to my point being my friendship with a young 22 year old who is actually mature and not like her contemporaries in the Gen Y world. It is refreshing to meet a young person who is not texting whilst talking to you at the same time and who understands that music did not begin with Usher and end with 50c. She writes a blog which I will post a link to and I hope she keeps writing because it is cathartic and perhaps some of my more mature minded and aged readers can share their thoughts with her.