Sunday, February 1, 2009

"Cause We Got The Street's Suckers" My Lifelong Obsession With The Warriors








If you know me then you know I like to rant the lines "Cause we got the streets suckers" for no apparent reason when walking down the street. I also like to say "Be lookin good boppers, all the way back to Coney" or my favorite line "Can you dig it" The reason; When I was a child I went to the double feature at Merrylands Mall cinema every Friday night with my brother. Among other fantastic films we saw the film "The Warriors". I still can't believe what a lifelong effect it would have but it has. It is up there as one of my favorite movie's of all time. I don't know why the ushers would let us in to see rated "R" films but back then I guess it didn't matter, "R" wasn't all that bad. I am glad they did because we must have seen the film quite a number of times before it left the cinema and shock horror went to video, which of course we didn't have because we couldn't afford one. But about ten years later we finally got one, a video that is. So I just wanted to clarify why I sometimes write these quotes in this blog or perhaps if you here it echoing throughout your neighbourhood. The last time I went to New York with Chris I begged him to take me to the Bronx and out to Coney Island on the subway to visit the location of the movie. We took the subway early on a weekday morning about 10am or so and it was pretty weird with lots of cops and lots of strange people standing around with nothing to do looking like they may stab us at any moment. We feel sure when we were at Coney we were definitely in an area we should not have been but I didn't care I just wanted to live out my fantasy. Strangely since 1979 not much has changed in Coney Island. I have been back to NY a few times since these photos were taken but I was always to scared to go to Coney again without Chris. Pussy that I am. So I leave it up to your good taste now dear reader to go and hire out a copy of "The Warriors" and re-live my childhood fantasies of Michael Beck and his smooth bare chest.
P.S. Rozie I only wish I had at some stage in my life written my name in wet cement. but I have always been scared some crazed council worker might wack me with a cement trawl. Still I loved the fact some kids in the local area near where I used to work had the audacity to write in the wet cement outside our office one day after it had been laid. And what did they write "Crazy as a coconut" I thought it was so cute and each day when I left work and walked over it I thought perhaps they saw me and wrote it. So your right I might just go and get myself a cement mixer just to have the chance to write my name in wet cement without going to jail.

1 comment:

Girly77 said...

'warriors come out and playeeeeee'... all thanks to you I can be heard chanting this as I neandering down the back streets of Melbourne.