Thursday, January 15, 2009

Afternoon Tea

Yesterday I was sitting in a café just off Darlinghurst Road in Kings Cross having afternoon tea with Glenn. Whilst I was sitting listening to him rattle on about loves lost and longed for I noticed that the many trees which line the streets in the area were losing hundreds of dead leaves in the large southerly buster winds which were whipping up a frenzy after a very hot 40c day. It was amazing to watch them flutter down to the ground because in a strange way it looked like large snow flakes. I pointed this natural wonderment out to Glenn and we both paused for a while to watch. Perhaps as I get older I tend to notice things like this more. I certainly now have a thing for incredible sunrises and sunsets but then I have always loved a southerly buster it is something so unique to Sydney and it means I am home in many different ways.

1 comment:

Chris said...

I was in Melbourne after their heatwave - all the plane trees had dropped their leaves as well in a desperate bid to retain moisture. It was like walking through Melbourne in Autumn.

And there really is nothing like a Southerly Buster! The memories, the relief! The fun!