Thursday, August 19, 2010

The 80's Are Back - My decent into a bawling mess!

Well I finally got to go and see myself in the "Back to the 80's" exhibition that is on now at the Powerhouse Museum. In fact it has been on since I went to the opening in December but of course since I have basically lived a life time since then I have not had the time to go. So it was a nice cold afternoon in Sydney when I trotted down to Ultimo to check it out. I did see the exhibit when I was at the opening night but frankly I was too busy catching up with people I had not seen in many years so I didn't have time to really absorb the whole thing up close. So it was really nice to stand amongst it all. I have to say that I am quite proud to be apart of it and it all looked so fantastic and well put together so a big thanks to all those who were involved. I read every little fact and poured over every item on display. I stood in the dance party vortex room and reminisced about the "good old days" of Sydney night life and I watched the video montage of friends who did in fact look as fabulous as I remembered them. So during the video I started to bawl, and I thought of "all the people I was kissing, some are here and some are missing" as the song says. It is hard to believe that they are gone, that evil nasty disease that pretty much ripped the guts right out of the bright lights and big city of Sydney and not to mention everywhere else.
I have to say the afternoon left me a little bewildered it was like I had opened a chasm of my past that I hadn't quite ever wanted to leave behind and I really really wanted to step back in time, if not just to see those lost forever. Though if I really want to admit the truth I wanted to smash the glass of the display cabinet and steal all of those glistening club keyring passes, jump in a cab and finally be apart of the "cool" crowd. Yes that is right but alas in 2010 they will get me into knowhere but I don't care I want them but I guess I will just have to be content with admiring them from behind a glass cabinet, "the same as it ever was!" So please enjoy my little piece of the 80's through Vicky D, attached via You Tube and imagine me practicing my dance moves at my friends house and remember "Do want you want to do" because that is exactly what I have done.

1 comment:

Chris said...

We were never being boring...